Thursday, December 28, 2006

Rampaging elehants appear again in the plot of travel blog

Ok, so when I was in India the first time I wrote an e-mail to my father that simply said,

"I rode an elephant today, what did you do?"

It was a total hit, he loved it and I was harassed with great humor many times over sending such an e-mail. Which of course led to the running joke in this blog....."I did _____ today, what did you do?"

As I was thinking of that entry yesterday, I suddenly realized that the original sentence had another level of meaning. That in Tibetan Buddhism, the rampaging black elephant is the symbol for the untamed suffering mind. And riding the white elephant is a symbol of tamed mind, or enlightenment. I was riding a grey elephant of course, painted with some bright colors. Seems appropriate for the time, neither black or white. Somewhere in between.

After thinking baout that I have decided that we are realy in India to tame elephants. And as Drichab says, Bring on the rampaging elephants. I am ready.


Dear father,
I rode an elephant today, did you?
Pema

No comments: