Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Thinking about Vishwanath Temple

I wrote this to a colleague today, who is is mildly of the Hindu faith.....

From my perspective, the living presence of wisdom has arisen in most of the great world religions including Hinduism. The fact that the Hindu religion at one time did support -- and may still support -- an authentic inner spiritual process is what causes me to have such a profound respect for the religion.

I have no idea if it still exists in this world as it was originally meant to be, but that is not necessary for me to know since I am not a practitioner. On the other hand, I know almost nothing about outer expression of Hindu religion -- its rules and rituals for instance. But even if it has degenerated, no amount of degeneration can rob authentic inner Hinduism of its ability to facilitate growth, and that is where my respect lies. This is what made it such a great honor to be in the temple in Varnassi.

And then after I wrote the above, I realized that there is somethign that I want to say to a few of my freinds....

If you have been wounded in the past by the corrupt or degenerated expression of a form of outer religion, please do not think that the authentic inner practice should be blamed. I assure you that the authentic inner spritutal practice exists, facilitated by inner wisdom and teaching. And when you are ready to meet it, I would be happy to help introduce you

[I am including below a description of the Golden Temple in Varanasi]

Approached through a maze of narrow alleys and the Vishwanatha Gali (or Lane), the temple complex of Vishwanatha or Visheshwara, the "Lord of All", is popularly known as the Golden Temple, due to the massive gold plating on its shikhara (spire). Inside the compound - which is hidden behind a wall, and entered through an unassuming doorway - is one of India's most important shivalingams, made of smooth black stone and seated in a solid silver plinth, as well as shrines to the wrathful protectors Mahakala and Dandapani, and the lingam of Avimukteshvara, the Lord of the Unforsaken, which predates Vishwanatha and once held much greater significance. The current temple was built in 1777 by Queen Ahalya Bai Holkar of Indore, and is closed to non-Hindus, who have to make do with glimpses from adjacent buildings.

No comments: